Thursday, August 21, 2008

Parents Meeting Recap

Just to recap what we went over at the parent's meeting tonight after Meet the Trojans.

1) Uniforms - I collected sizes and money for uniforms and miscelaneous tee shirts and sweatshirts. I am going to go through it all in the morning and place an order tomorrow afternoon. The prices that I quoted are a one shot deal, so if you did not get an item that you wanted, I cannot guarantee the prices if we do a second order. If we do a second order, I would prefer to put you in contact with the screen printer and have a parent organize it - it's just not my favorite thing to do!

2) Racquet issues - As far as racquets go, make sure:

a) your grip is not worn out & if it is, get a pack of overgrips to go over it. Overgrips last a week or two in season, but will allow a solid grip on the racquet.

b) your racquet is strung to an appropriate tension. If your racquet hasn't been strung in a while or if it just doesn't "feel" right, try restringing it before you scrap it to buy a new one. I ordered string for the team out of our budget & will give you string if you can string yourself, or I can string it for you for $10.

c) your racquet isn't causing you pain. If you feel pain in either your elbow or shoulder, try getting a new or different style of vibration "dampener" to alleviate the vibration from hitting the ball. If that doesn't help, then it is time to shop for a new one. You don't want to play with a racquet that hurts you.

3) Shoes - Several girls are wearing running shoes at practice. I will tell you all now that you will spend a lot of money on shoes if you put the girls in running shoes to play tennis in. The soles are just not stable enough to handle the types of footwork that tennis takes and they will rip and tear frequently. I highly recommend getting a tennis shoe to play the sport in. A good pair of tennis shoes should last all season. It will probably take 3 pairs of running shoes to make it.

4) Football concessions - Mrs Cramer passed around a list for volunteers to sign up. We need to provide 12 able bodied people to staff the concessions stand. If you signed up, we need you. Please be at the Goose Creek game on Friday August 29th by 6 PM. Dress very comfortably and wear comfortable shoes. I will be in the middle of my grad school introduction week (Thu - Tue), so I cannot be there.

Below are 2 websites (and I am posting them in My Favorite Links to the left) that make tennis shopping easy. I use both frequently as well as ebay for all my tennis equipment:
http://www.tennisexpress.com/index.htm
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A note on tennis shoes. If you wear running shoes in tennis you are also more prone to injury. I know first hand. I decided to play tennis once after going to the gym. I was wearing running shoes and thought no big deal. Since the shoes have a higher center of gravity they "roll" easier I fount out the hard way.

I ended up going to the net for a running overhead and rolled my right foot. I ended up causing a third degree high ankle sprain. I was in a temporary cast for 6 months. It sucked. Trust me.... buy tennis shoes, avoid the hospital.

David Patterson
http://www.tennisplaza.com