Thursday, March 20, 2008

Northwestern drops match to #10 Fort Mill

Well, tonight we got to see what the bar is at in high school tennis in South Carolina. Fort Mill lived up to my expectations and I feel that they are slightly underrated in the state rankings compared to the others that I saw while in Aiken earlier this year. Frankly, if they play like they did tonight in playoffs, we may have just seen the 2008 state champions on our courts tonight. Comparing them to Spartanburg (#3), I would assume they are about even at 1 & 2 singles, and ahead of them the rest of the way down, especially 2 doubles.

I hope that we use this match as motivation for the rest of the season and the future. Fort Mill is playing at a level that I want us to be at. I don't know if it will be possible to get there this year, but for our younger players I hope you took note of what we could become with hard work and dedication to the sport. Fort Mill's Line 4 (usual line 5) was hitting serves with accuracy and speed that we normally only see at a 1 or 2 in our region. 2 doubles was extremely well coached and displayed exceptional teamwork.

We are now placed into a tie for third place in region with Rock Hill and we will square it off with them on Tuesday next week to complete round 1 of region matches. I mentioned to the boys that they have practice off tomorrow & Saturday to spend time with their families over the holiday as I will be doing the same. I do hope that all of them are able to find a court over the weekend to keep the racquets swinging. We will have to play a high level of tennis on Tuesday to beat a good Rock Hill team. With a 50% chance of showers on Monday, I'd like it if we all found hitting time over the weekend before we head over to Rock Hill High.

Go Trojans!

Box Score:

Location: Northwestern HS
Result: Fort Mill 7, Northwestern 0

1S: William Reigel (F) def Jeff Zimmerman (N) 6-0, 6-0
2S: Robbie Davis (F) def Seth Russell (N) 6-0, 6-0
3S: Kyle Orsman (F) def Paul Sabisch (N) 6-1, 6-0
4S: Chase Lee (F) def Zach Beaver (N) 6-3, 6-3
5S: Jordon Lukens (F) def Brian Fitzpatrick (N) 6-3, 6-4

1D: Reigel/R Davis (F) def Zimmerman/Russell (N) 8-2
2D: Daniel Proctor/Tyler Davis (F) def Alex Atzberger/Drayton Wade (N) 6-3, 6-1

No comments: